The church is designed in the Hiberno Romanesquerevival derived from Temple Finghin, a small chapel at the old monastic settlement of Clonmacnoise, on the banks of the River Shannon.
Temple Finghin dates from 1160-1170. There is a fine Romanesque chancel arch and like Coolcarrigan the most unusual feature is the unusual little round tower attached to the church.
There are no records remaining as to who the architect was. It is thought to be probably James Fuller, who was the Diosesan architect at the time and built a few private churches. He was foremost in the Hiberno-Romanesque revival at the time.