The church was founded in 1881 and consecrated as a Church of Ireland church in 1885 by Archbishop Lord Plunkett..
It is built in a woodland setting in view of the main house. It is surrounded by a circular, dry moat and can only be entered by passing through a lynch gate. There is a small graveyard attached to the church.
Irish Text On Walls
These were chosen by Douglas Hyde, a family friend. He was the first President of Ireland, from 1938-1945 and founder of the Gaelic League.
The church has featured in several films. The most noteworthy being the TV screening of the 'Irish RM' starring Peter Bowles.