History of Coolcarrigan
The house is now occupied by the 6th generation of the same family. An attractive Georgian house built in the 1830s, originally used as a shooting lodge. There was a large area of the surrounding peatland owned by the estate. This was taken away when the government set up Bord na Mona and started harvesting peat for electricity generation in the 1940's.
The house was built by Robert Mackay Wilson. It has been added to and modernised over the years, and is now a very comfortable family home.
The church was built in the 1880's also by Robert Mackay Wilson. It has some very interesting stained glass windows and Gaelic scripts on the walls chosen by Douglas Hyde, the first President of Ireland. There are regular Sunday services held.
The farm is a mix of cropping, grassland and forestry.